Sunday, April 30, 2017

Talkin' Cowbells




In my continual pursuit to downsize my possessions, I ran across this little gem in a box up in my closet. This cowbell was already way past vintage when I bought it 25-plus years ago. 
 In these days of Antique Roadshow, the question always pops up...Do I have a high-dollar antique?

Here's a picture of a cow wearing a similar bell that was in a post about virtual shopping done by Debbie over at Confessions of a Plate Addict.

I don't know about you, but I love all things cows and farmhouse these days. 

It makes me wonder though... In 20 or 30 years, will we look back at the "farmhouse" style of today like we do about all the duck decorating we did back in the late 80's to early 90's? Yes...I did...GuiltyOh brother! And mauve and blue...whoa baby!
Anyhoo... It got me to thinking about cowbells. I popped over to my old friend Wikipedia to get some info and to Ebay (of course) to see if I had a priceless antique. 

These were the most similar cowbells, to mine, that I could find on Wikipedia. The bottom section, top row is the closest match.

It turns out my cowbell is worth maybe $17. I think I bought it back in the early 90's at a yard sale for a few dollars. So, not going to make me rich!

It stays though cuz, ya know, farmhouse style and all...and then, after all, my daughters will need something to laugh about in the year 2040.



Thanks for dropping by!


Joining The Party At:
Mrs. Olson's Share Your Cup
Amaze Me Monday



16 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike, Sugar. I was thinking about the 'cow craze' the other day and IMMEDIATELY thought of the ducks and country blue from the 70's & 80s. lol

    Right now 'farmhouse style' is big and I bet once that phases out we will be finding cow pictures lined up in the GW bins. (just my thoughts). I like them because I grew up on a farm and always had a pet co (Bluebell was my favorite) but I do think for some people cow things are just a decorative prop. Guess we will see in time. xo Diana

    ps- I did predict the demise of burlap early on.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di...What??? Burlap is taboo now? I was just thinking about getting into that. *Snark* When I was around, my mom bought a calf to raise on my grandparent's small farm. We named her Triangle (due to spot on back) and feed her 3 times a week. We didn't know the "raising" her was to slaughter. Couldn't eat meat for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that! I'm always amazed by what I find tucked away in the closet.
    I've never cared what was in style, I decorate to please me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing my cow photo! And do you see me raising my hand here? Guilty of peach and blue! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes! Peach, the decorating essential of the low 90's. Are we really giving away are age here? Thanks again for lending the picture. I hope people will click on the link and read that great post you did.

      Delete
  5. well, I personally don't care if the farmhouse style is in fashion or not, I personally love it and want to make my home feel cozy as they do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first started to read your post I was hoping that you had an amazing antique worth $$$$$s so was a little disappointed to learn its real value. I still love it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I, Mama, so was I. Hope springs eternal though and I have a lot (A LOT) of boxes stored that I'm hoping to hit pay dirt with (LOL).

      Delete
  7. Ah yes, I remember the duck decor and blue and mauve colors of the 80's! Your cow bell is really neat! I don't blame you for hanging on to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great bell, you've done some research. I still have a few ducks around. They don't quite go with my giesha's

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I too remember the ducks and yes I did have a few. I've always liked cow bells. Yours is a nice one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the ducks and the mauve and blue. I had it all! We moved into the cabin in 1989 and those were my colors. :) Sharon, thank you for the ideas on the playhouse. I checked Craigslist "free Items" Saturday afternoon, and there were fence sections and a gate...for free! I immediately contacted the people and someone had just beat me to it. I'm still looking. That cow bell...I have one kinda like yours. I did not know it was a cow bell! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cow bell is cute..

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hah! I've often wondered the same thing myself. Will everyone some day cringe at white shiplap and galvanized metal? I do like your cowbell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a great old bell . . . I would certainly hang on to it , too. I have been thinking about getting a small cow bell (maybe they are for sheep) to put on my Butchy. If you call him, he stops and stands there and looks at you from wherever he is in the yard. He doesn't come, so you have to look around and find him. Then if you give him a hand signal, he'll come running to you. I've never had a dog that wouldn't come when I called him before, LOL. They all have their own little personalities.

    ReplyDelete