Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Keeping Lemons Fresher




Recently I needed lemons and Costco's lemons looked real good so I bought a big bag of them. Something I usually don't do because there's just two of us and the bags are huge.

After a week, I had to throw a few lemons out. I squeezed quite a few of the lemons that were left and froze the juice...still there were three lemons left. 

I had heard you can keep lemons fresh by covering them with water in a container, so I thought I'd give it a try. Here's the container after one week...
 The lemons in the water actually looked fresher after a week in the water than when I put them in the water.
I hope you'll let me know how yours turned out if you try this.


Thanks for dropping by!



5 comments:

  1. I didn't know that, so I will certainly be giving that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I had a bumper crop of lemons from our tree and didn't know what to do with them and someone suggested slicing and freezing them. I did it and used the lemons all year, it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really neat! The comment on freezing them is also something I might try. As I am writing this I am sitting in the study glancing at one of my lemon trees loaded with fruit. I usually have some on a one of the trees year around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done that before and I often freeze them. IF they start to go bad I have a bag in the freezer that I have marked- DISPOSAL---and I will use them in the garbage disposal. I put a squirt of detergent in the disposal and then throw half a lemon in and let it run . (make sure the lemon is partially thawed or it may cause the disposal to jam up)...

    I love the smell of lemon anything. Have a great Thursday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this. I'm bad about buying two or three lemons...using one and the others go bad.

    ReplyDelete