Saturday, January 30, 2016

Three On Saturday




Here's three things I'm thinking about tonight...

I baked those Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies from the Williams-Sonoma blog. They turned out pretty darn good and were so easy to make. I may have gotten a little carried away taking pictures of them:


They were crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, perfect if you ask me. I'm going to give you the only secret I have about baking cookies: After you bake cookies and they cool just a little, put them on a cutting board (preferably a wooden one) to finish cooling. The cutting board will make them crisp on the outside.
I put the cookies on a tray in the kitchen to stage them for my pictures. The tarnished, silver 'footed' tray in the photo is one I bought for $30 at an antiques mall the other day. Here is a close-up of the tarnished tray before I cleaned it with baking soda.
And here's some pictures after the tray got a quick scrub with a kitchen sponge and a few shakes of baking soda. So easy...


I just love seeing how quickly the tarnish comes off the silver pieces using only baking soda and water. As they say, simple things occupy simple minds!
Did you notice that red floral Christmas pot holder from my last post hanging next to the silver tray? Yeah, still having a love affair with it!
While in the kitchen, I took a picture of an adorable salt and pepper dish made by the Mud Pie brand, which I bought last month. The two separate dishes stack together under the lid, and the little drawer-pull knob on top makes it so sweet. 

I had forgotten about the salt and pepper dish until B.J. over at Sweet Nothings posted about some Mud Pie pieces she bought recently to give as gifts. You can see her post, Slinging Mud, here.



Thanks for dropping by today!


Joining the party at:
Finding Silver Pennies Sunday Party
Treasure Hunt Thursday



23 comments:

  1. There's just a lot of good stuff on this post. The cookies look delicious. Amazing how that silver tray cleaned up. I'm a real sucker for little odd dishes to use in staging food. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Those cookies were really easy to make. I highly recommend the Williams-Sonoma website in the last post I wrote.

      Delete
  2. Your cookies look amazing! I went to a friend's house for NYE and she had the cutest Mud Pie cookie jar that matches your salt and pepper. It might be in my future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stacey, they are so cute. I'm trying hard not to buy anything small because I tend to be a clutter-er, but the Mud Pie dishes are hard to resist. I'll bet that cookie jar was adorable.

      Delete
  3. I love a good chocolate chip cookie, and will admit that I'm not that good at baking them. THANKS for sharing a secret that I'll have to try! The tray is also really lovely! I'm like you, I love to see them come to life wit just a little polish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a good baker either Kim. The W-S recipe is really easy and quick. I didn't use an ice cream scoop as they said to do. I just used a rounded Tablespoon and started watching them at 9 minutes. Good luck.

      Delete
  4. I am absolutely amazed that it took only baking soda and water! Thanks for sharing that tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, it really does work well. I was told if it doesn't take the tarnish off then it is not a good grade of silver. I don't know if that's true, but some small pieces I bought didn't come off with baking soda, so maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the cookie cooling tip, I like nice crisp cookies! Wow...that tray looks amazing. You just use plain soda, nothing else?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those cookies sound delicious. And, I am going to try the cutting board method. I like crispy cookies.

    I have a set of measuring cups I purchased at Anthropologie that stack the the salt & pepper shaker. I like the stacking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A cookie has its own kind of magic.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Sharon! Oh, I so appreciate you visiting me and do hope you'll come back again. Now, those are gorgeous and yummy looking cookies and you did a great job staging them too! I love your pretty silver tray and I learned something from you today. I did not know that baking soda would take off tarnish! That's brilliant! Thanks again for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookies look even better than the ones that Williams-Sonoma had a picture of. Thanks for the reminder of how to clean the silver, I have a bunch to do today.
    I have a big silver tray like that, it's in the top of the pantry because I got tired of cleaning it. Maybe I drag it back out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rivercrest Cottage,
    YuMMy!!!
    Last week, I made some Oatmeal, chocolate chip and pecan cookies that turned out divinely delicious!!!
    Lovin' those Mud Pie salt and peppers!!!
    Cleaning silver with baking soda??? That's something I need to try!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cookies look DELICIOUS!! I had forgotten about using the baking soda to clean silver. Thank you for reminding me again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I REALLY want some cookies!
    They look amazing!
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cookies look good and I'll have to try the baking soda and water on some of my trays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who doesn't love pictures of cookies? Not me! lol I had to pin that recipe, so thank you :)

    And thank you for your sweet comment.

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea that baking soda and water would take the tarnish off silver like that!?!?! Crawling back under my rock now.....
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how delicious the cookies look. WOW baking soda and water makes all the difference. I will be trying this one for sure.
    Thanks for stopping by and your kind comment. Have a great rest of the week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how delicious the cookies look. WOW baking soda and water makes all the difference. I will be trying this one for sure.
    Thanks for stopping by and your kind comment. Have a great rest of the week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those cookies do look perfect! Thank you for stopping by our blog today and leaving such a kind comment and for following. We have been following along here for awhile ourselves :) Have a lovely weekend! P.S. If you ever want to join us, we have a link up each Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete