Monday, October 3, 2011

The Turkeys

Here's one of my favorite pictures of my father with my oldest daughter during a Thanksgiving visit in 1978. He had just had his lung removed due to cancer. He was only around 54 years old and, thankfully, was lucky to survive another 15 years. He seemed old back then, but as I look at this picture I see him now as a young man... probably due to my being a few years past 60 myself these days.

A few years after this picture was taken, Dad left his garage door open just a foot or so to air it out and forgot to close it that night. The next morning when he went out to his garage, he discovered he had been robbed. The thief only took a few tools, but emptied Dad's freezer of everything except one thing... in the middle of that empty freezer sat one lone frozen turkey!



That sorry looking lone turkey seemed to really piss him off. A week later, I stopped by with a gift for him: a coffee cup with a big turkey on the side and the saying "Don't Let The Turkeys Get You Down" written across the top of the turkey. It became our favor sayng to each other and always made us both smile. "Dont let the turkeys get you down!"



One of my favorite bloggers, who always tries to 'stay on the sunny side' thought about plugging out of bloggyland recently. I'm so glad she decided to stay. I left her a message '...don't let the turkeys get you down.' Now, maybe when she reads this, she'll know why I chose those words. And, when remembering those words, I hope it makes her (and you too) smile while looking in the freezer and seeing more than just one lonely looking turkey staring back.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your story. Inspirational you are.
    I won't let the turkeys git me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story of your father and the turkey! What a wonderful memory to have of him :)
    I’ve awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award because you’re so inspiring to me! Go check out the details after 4:00pm Mountain time today at www.kathewithane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete